The General Convention affirmed the MDG’s (Millennium Development Goals), and asked ERD to be a vehicle to encourage diocesan and parish support. So what’s an MDG you say? There are 8 of them – enacted by the United Nations in the ‘90’s, and really beginning to take hold now around the world. The goal is for many groups, including churches, congregations, individuals, and our government to commit .7% of their budgets to
1) Eradicate extreme poverty and hunger;
2) Achieve universal primary education;
3) Promote gender equality and empower women (particularly, but not exclusively in developing countries);
4) Reduce child mortality;
5) Improve maternal health;
6) Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria, and other diseases;
7) Ensure environmental stability;
8) Develop a global partnership for development.
Our diocese has already committed to the .7%, and Trinity has for some time supported at least some of the goals with .7% of our budget. We urge you as individuals to consider doing the same – not just through this offering, of course, but through means of special importance to you.